Monday, November 7, 2011

A Major Concept

     One major concept I have learned this year is how to break down the most confusing pieces of literature so that they make sense. If I had read Hamlet in a different class I would have tried to understand it at first, relied completely on sparksnotes, given up out of hopelessness and disregarded that section of learning as a whole. However, we were taught to read it as a class, toss around ideas and analyze chunk after chunk of dialogue until we could come to a general agreement about the meaning of the passage. We watched a variety of movies made reflecting the play so that we could see how others had seen Shakespeare's work, had group meetings to discuss intents and character motives, and through careful dissection I was able to understand one of the most hated pieces of literature in schools. Unlike my parents or their friends who at the mention of Hamlet roll their eyes, laugh and say "yeah all I remember is I hated it and didn't read it at all" I on the other hand, can recite Hamlet's soliloquy, interpret dialog, remember act summaries, and understand the key themes and motives reflected in Shakespeare's play. Now, I can say I have made it through one of the greatest trials of high school English and found it only a fraction of what it once was in my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the exact same way about classic novels as well. They can be such a daunting task that I don’t even want to try and read them. But this class has help break down stories such as Hamlet into easier much more enjoyable parts. The in class discussions helped me understand a lot of the major concepts going on and also provided another source of perspective. They would always see something that I would have never thought of. I’m glad I’m not the only one who felt like this in the beginning of the year.

    ReplyDelete